MASTER CLASS: MINDFUL MOVEMENT WITH VIKI PSIHOYOS
- Class is 80 minutes long.
- This class will take place at the Vail Mountain School Theater.
- Please check in 15 minutes prior to class in the Vail Mountain School lobby.
- Please arrive early to allow time to get settled for class.
- Caretakers are welcome to join.
This mindful movement class explores movement and music in ways that are enjoyable, stimulating and creative. Who is this class for? People with dementia, stroke history, aging people with creaky bodies, etc. No dance experience is required. In chairs, at a barre or moving across the ﬂoor, this class will explore elements of modern dance, ballet, tap, folk and social dancing in a fun, supportive environment.
Class begins seated moving to fun music, mobilizing various body parts and muscle groups. After a half hour, Viki offers standing and seated versions to all 3-minute dance numbers. This is a fun, light dance class for all abilities. There is no right or wrong. There is no right or left. No mirrors. No audience. No judgment. Just fun. All are welcome.
This class is designed to:
- increase mobility, endurance, balance and strength through joyful physical activity
- create a sense of community through creative collaboration
- build memory and cognitive function
- reduce stress through breathing and movement combinations
- build a positive self-image with an attitude of possibility rather than limitation
- keep participants engaged in everyday life through the above activities
ABOUT THE TEACHER:
Boulder-based Viki Psihoyos has trained with the Brooklyn-based Dance for PD program, where retired professional dancers apply their experience and teaching skills to movement classes specially designed for the Parkinson’s community. Psihoyos performed with the New York City Ballet for 13 years and now teaches Balanchine ballets in the US and abroad.
Comfortable clothing and footwear that’s easy to move in
*FESTIVAL EVENTS ARE SUBJECT TO CHANGE
TICKETS ARE ON SALE NOW!
$30 | participate
$15 | observe (parent, guardian, or dance instructor)
**Ticket sales close at 8:00pm the night before the class.
In an effort to safeguard you, our artists, staff, and event attendees, we have put the following policies in place for select indoor events with close proximity to artists:
- Master Class students and attendees must wear face coverings at all times while inside Vail Mountain School.
- Face coverings will be required for all audience members attending Conversations on Dance, Open House with Caili Quan, and Watching Dance with Heather Watts when inside the event space or in close proximity to the artists.
- Face coverings will be optional for all outdoor Festival Events as well as evening performances at both the Gerald R. Ford Amphitheater and Vilar Performing Arts Center.
If you have any questions regarding the policies listed above, please contact our box office team at firstname.lastname@example.org.